AP Mobile version 6.0 for iOS is now available! Download it from iTunes.
In our continuing efforts to provide the best user experience we have been working on a significant update to the popular AP Mobile app on iOS. The focus of v6.0, now available in iTunes, is to improve overall usability, with a new visual home screen/navigation pane that gets you to your favorite content faster.
Some key changes include:
- Gesture-based navigation, eliminating the need for tapping back buttons while browsing content. A short swipe takes you between stories, a long swipe from the left edge takes you back to the timeline view or category navigation. Simple and intuitive gets you where you want to be.
- More customization – A more visual, tile-based navigation pane replaces the category list and lets you add, remove and reorder content that you want to keep within easy reach, with fewer clicks. This includes your favorite local content, big stories, and subcategories such as football that you might want to surface via it’s own tile.
- Big Stories – the biggest stories of the day/week/month/year, as selected by our world class editorial staff, are now highlighted in double-wide tiles right in the home screen so you can easily follow their progress. You can simply swipe thru the current big story images in-line in the navigation pane to browse and click to the Big Story of your choice.
- Optimization – we removed the popular burlap background in an attempt to shrink the file size and improve performance, among other improvements. The file is now much smaller than the previous version.
- No more alert history – this was confusing users and stacking up old content. We simplified this to an improved alert experience in the app showing only the current alert, with a different icon showing when the story is written and attached to it.
- Other content – We can now bring to you AP Audio as well as other content.
Of course we are not finished and have many other plans for v6.1 and beyond. As always, we are committed to becoming the best mobile news source and welcome your feedback (email us at email@example.com).